Street Patrol is an opportunity to serve our neighbours by walking the streets of downtown Toronto,
offering food and friendship to those in need.
Note: Groups of 12 or more need to pre-book, but individuals and small groups can participate whenever they want. Wednesday evenings,
• 6:30 p.m. – gather on the steps of Saint Patrick’s Church
• 6:30 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. – orientation talk: “How ‘to do’ Street Patrol” & Street Patrol Prayer
• 6:45 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. – Proceed along designated routes
• 9:15 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. – gather back on the steps to “share our experiences” and end in prayer
• What type of food do I bring? The TWO main things we bring are:
1. SANDWICHES: These can be made of anything healthy, like cold cuts, cheese, tuna, egg salad, etc. We have only one exception, and that is peanut butter. The reason is peanut butter is inexpensive, and the homeless get a whole lot of it. We try hard to avoid using it. Using whole wheat bread or bagels is a good idea. Please wrap all sandwiches hygienically.
2. DRINKS: These are very important!! Often, homeless people are very dehydrated, especially on hot summer days. Any type of drink is okay. Juice is preferred. Even water will do. Drink boxes or cans of pop are convenient. But what may work best, and is the least expensive, is to bring 1, 2 or 4 litre jugs (along with paper cups). It may take longer to pour the drinks and serve them, but this time can be used to exchange in small talk with the homeless.You may want to bring other foods, as well. Soft fruit is welcomed, such as bananas and oranges. (Hard fruit, like apples, are difficult to eat when you have poor teeth.) Vegetables, nuts, raisins, and seeds are a good idea, too. And if you wish, a small sweet treat, like cookies, can add to the enjoyment of the meal.
For More information: http://www.stpatrickstoronto.ca/streetpatrol/faq.php
Or contact: Lucio Abbruzzese (chief organizer) at (416) 738-9197 or e-mail at email@example.com
© Fontbonne Ministries, Sisters of St. Joseph, Toronto | Privacy/Legal Info | Contact Info | Website by Poverello Media